Re: [css3-text] New Working Draft

From: fantasai (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2011 - 21:37:05 CDT

    On 04/15/2011 06:00 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
    > 1. Many of the references to Unicode specifications are outdated, both links and names. For example,
    >
    > [UAX24]
    > Mark Davis. Script Names. <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr24/tr24-7.html> 28 March 2005. Unicode Standard Annex #24.
    >
    > <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr24/tr24-7.html>Should use at least the current name /Unicode Script Property/ and
    > link: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr24/tr24-15.html. Or even better is to use the unversioned link
    > http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr24/.

    Thanks. I'll ask Bert to update the references file with the undated versions, if possible.
    (The bibliography is auto-generated, so I can't fix it myself. ;)

    > 2. There is a problem with any general categorization of scripts, because the categorization tends to vary according to the
    > purpose. You'd be far better off, rather than having the categorization that you list, using labels that are directly
    > associated with the function that you intend.
    >
    > For example, if the purpose is to define the scripts affected by text-justify, for example, it would be better remove Section
    > 1.1, and retarget your Appendix E: Categorization of Scripts by having something like:
    >
    > Appendix E: Scripts and Justification
    >
    > The style values for text-justify affect the following scripts:
    >
    > inter-ideograph
    > Bopomofo, Han, Hangul, Hiragana, Katakana, Yi...
    >
    > inter-cluster
    > Khmer, Lao, Myanmar, Thai...

    Well, the style values all affect all scripts, just in different ways depending on the
    values. I used to have the script categorization under the Justification section, but
    pulled it up front since I reused somewhere else... I'll shuffle things around using
    some of your suggestions and see where we get. :)

    > FYI, http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/utc/script-metadata

    That's wonderful, thanks. Is there a unicode.org index of handy Unicode-info sites like
    this? fileformat.info and some of Richard Ishida's tools come to mind as similarly useful.

    ~fantasai