Re: Slots for Cyrillic Accented Vowels

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 16:44:04 CDT

    On 5/18/2011 8:23 AM, Karl Pentzlin wrote:
    > Am Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2011 um 09:56 schrieb Plamen Tanovski:
    >
    > PT> ... So it is very urgent to propose the including of accented cyrillic
    > PT> vowels in the unicode. I think the combinations with grave and acute
    > PT> accents are enough, so we are talking here about 40 slots after all.
    >
    > What is really needed is to have Unicode-conformant standard applications
    > which display accented Cyrillic letters as they are in fact encoded
    > (sequence of base letter + combining mark).
    >
    > As the attached pictures show, major applications like Microsoft Word
    > or Firefox still fail, given the common user the impression that the
    > accented Cyrillic letters are in fact missing.

    Firefox 4.0.1 on Windows XP renders your test page fine.

    IE 7 renders it acceptably (slightly off center for the accent on the
    lower case character)

    Notepad only renders the lower case acceptably.

    These results on Windows XP, service pack 3 - which is two generations
    behind "the latest".

    The only combination that matches your PNGs is Word 2003, which also
    several generations behind the latest.

    Wordpad shows only boxes for the accents, but wordpad has trouble with
    Unicode (it's native format is RTF, which baiscally "tolerates" Unicode,
    but is not Unicode native).

    A./