Re: Character Identity and Font Selection

From: James Cloos (cloos@jhcloos.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 07:20:41 CDT

    OS> IPA should be handled as a ‘language’, in its own right.

    From the point of view of both input systems and the OpenType
    font format specification it already is. I'm sure Graphite
    supports that, too.

    OpenType has language code IPPH for IPA phonetic transcription
    and APPH for 'Phonetic transcription-Americanist conventions'.

    I do not know to what extent applications and libraries support
    tagging text runs with arbitrary OpenType language codes. It
    might be difficult to use IPPH in practice?

    -JimC

    --
    James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6