Re: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:43:26 -0700

On 7/15/2011 11:36 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
> However, I agree with Asmus that in the context of the Wingdings-type symbols these characters should not be considered. They should be considered as a whole on their own.

Thank you Michael.

To reiterate and restate (so it can be read out of context):

    If widespread use of particular glyphic symbols for certain
    invisible characters (as opposed to abbreviations and names) can be
    documented, then those symbols, and those symbols only should are
    eligible to be added to the standard. As in the example for SPACE,
    if there are different such symbols denoting the same invisible
    character, any of them that is widespread could be added. Care
    should be taken not to unify symbols of different design merely
    based on the fact that they represent the same invisible character.

I simply ask that when and if these symbol characters are considered,
the normal procedures for adding characters are to be followed. This
includes adducing evidence of their use in documentation (other than the
Unicode Standard itself) and similar publications. In particular, such
documentation would need to be brought for each individual character
(except perhaps for paired characters) as it is quite likely that some
invisible characters not documented extensively (for example the
deprecated ones).

Finally, it would be valuable if research into the use of such glyphic
symbols was thorough enough to encompass a more or less complete range
of glyphs used for each invisible character, not simply the Unicode
chart glyph.

A./