Re: Anything from the Symbol font to add along with W*dings?

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:47:07 +0000

The whole point of so-called symbol fonts is to allow (non-Unicode) applications to display these symbols while acting as though they are displaying ordinary Latin-1 text. It would be counterproductive for makers of such fonts to include, as it were, a health warning that the font should not be used for this purpose.

People might continue to use font-face with symbol fonts even for characters that exist in Unicode, and we can recommend against it; but they will definitely do so for characters that are not in Unicode, and telling them to use layout won't impress them.