RE: RTL PUA?

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:30:58 -0700

"John H. Jenkins" <jenkins at apple dot com> wrote:

>> Put a RTL PUA zone in Plane 14, which is mostly empty, and expected to remain so, and you're done.
>
> No, you're not, because the OSs/rendering engines would have to rev, and to be honest, there won't be a lot of enthusiasm for doing something something like this so long as it isn't actually *required* in order to be Unicode conformant. (It's hard enough to get people to do the required stuff.) RTL, PUA support, and optional features are usually pretty low on most people's priority lists.

I would think changing the *default, recommended* Bidi Class for Plane
16 would meet with very little resistance, compared to allocating more
PUA space. Both approaches would require the OS's and rendering engines
to rev, but by changing Plane 16, UTC could throw a bone to PUA users
with a minimum of effort and commitment.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­