PRI #202: Extensions to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 6.1.0

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 00:13:49 +0200

2011/8/26 <announcements_at_unicode.org>:
> The Unicode Technical Committee has posted a new issue for public review and
> comment. Details are on the following web page:
>
>    http://www.unicode.org/review/pri202/
>
> Review periods for the new items close on October 24, 2011.
>
> Please see the page for links to discussion and relevant documents. Briefly,
> the new issue is:
>
> PRI #202: Extensions to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 6.1.0

Isn't there an intersection between NameAliases.txt proposed in
PRI202, and the informational table defined for UTR #25 at
http://www.unicode.org/Public/math/revision-12/MathClassEx-12.txt
which also lists other name aliases for other standards ?

Couldn't there be a way to merge those lists ?

It would have the advantage of suppressing those names from the
proposed table for UTR #25 (characters used in Mathematical
notations).

In the merged name aliases table, we could as well include :
- SGML/HTML/XML character entity names (and some standardized synonyms) ?
- Postscript names (from AGL), also used in the "name" table of
TrueType/OpenType fonts
- possibly even their Postscript numeric id's (the 256 first names
from the AGL list is not even stored in fonts, where they are bound
only by string id).
- other names from candidate standards ?

Do names defined in NameAliases.txt have to be globally unique across
all supported standards (each one being assigned a specific value for
the new "type" field added in NameAliases.txt ? For me it's just
enough that they are unambiguous within the context of the standard
where they are looked up to find their UCS codepoints. Not all these
names have to be supported simultaneously.

As well, the name aliases should support named character sequences for
these other standards.

-- Philippe.