RE: [OT] Reusing the same property (was: RE: PRI #202: Extensions to NameAliases.txt for Unicode 6.1.0)

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:12:40 -0700

The solution would have been easy:

- use www.example.org for the generic site
- use www.en.example.org for the English-language site
- use www.fr.example.org for the French-language site
- use www.www.example.org (and only that) for the Wawa site

No need for private-use identifiers here. (I agree that coding
standards like 639 should have private-use areas, but not to extend the
standard beyond its intended scope as Philippe suggests in his last
paragraph.)

Or, since the Very Well-Known Site already uses several language codes
that do not conform to, and even conflict with, the existing standards,
just use 'wawa' in the Wawa URL instead of 'www' and that solves the
problem too.

Sorry for the non-Unicode digression.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­