Re: IUC 35 Conference T-Shirt Design

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 09:04:13 +0100 (BST)

On Saturday 3 September 2011, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> It's a bit too late to launch this project, just a week-end, ...

Well, a weekend and a Monday.

> ... and most people on this list won't have the time to make something that is creatively interesting, visually appealing, and meaningful for minds...

Well, I had a go yesterday evening. Checking this morning, I found that the first file that I saved, named Unicode.ppp, was timed at 19:27, that I saved four source files, so that I conserved each stage in developing the design in case I needed to go back to it, and made a pdf for each and that Unicode4.pdf was produced at 19:57, so I enjoyed trying to design something for at least 30 minutes.

Along the way I thought of a slogan, "Unicode, encoding trente-six scripts!" but upon checking I found that it was concerence 35, not conferenece 36.

> I'm not sure that there are a lot of artists on this list, except possibly typographers...

Well, it would be nice to be thought of as an artist, yet one can produce a lot of good designs with typography alone. It is what I like to call "devolved precision". Someone using a desktop publishing program can apply the precision that the font designer has produced. In fact, for the design that I am producing, I am thus far using three fonts and colour, no freehand drawings at all.

> ... (but adding colors is generally not their focus,

Well, the desktop publishing package that I am using, Serif PagePlus, has facilities for using colour and a selection of colour palettes as well.

Also, I am interested in colour.

http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3312

The following webspace has lots of interesting items about colour.

http://www.pantone.com

I once wrote some song lyrics about a colour.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/song1019.htm

> ... so they would probably need some cooperation, that will be hard to find in a so short time).

Well, it appears that Rick already has someone ready to provide that cooperation, sometime on or after next Tuesday.

Rick wrote as follows.

> Send us your ideas, and we will forward them to the graphic designer as input for this year's conference T-shirt. You can send text, pictures of hand drawings, full digital illustrations, etc.

> The deadline is Monday night, US time. Just e-mail your entry directly to me. I will collect them and forward to the designer next Tuesday.

So, the call for T-shirt design ideas has been of interest to me. Also, as a real project, it has value that anyone who so chooses could use what he or she produces as graphic art for a portfolio, perhaps towards a qualification.

Is there going to be a haiku contest this year?

William Overington