Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:14:04 +0200

Den 2011-09-11 18:53, skrev "Peter Constable" <petercon_at_microsoft.com>:

> There's no requirement that the width of glyphs in a monospaced font be 1 em.
> I would agree, though, that if a monospaced font forms a ligature of a pair
> like <0066, 0069>, then it should be twice the width (not necessarily 2em) of
> single-character glyphs.

That's fine (assuming the ligature is well designed, in the case of a
monospace font connecting the bar of the f to the top serif of the i and
only that).

> In a monospace font, nothing prevents the glyph for FB01 being a ligature, and
> some monospaced fonts do have a ligature glyph for that character.

Fine too. But see below.

> Of course, in a monospaced font, the glyph for that character should be the
> same width as all other glyphs. So if it's not a ligature, then the "f" and
> "i" elements still need to be narrower than the glyphs for 0066 and 0069.
>
> Hence, in a monospaced font, FB01 certainly should look different from <0066,
> 0069>, regardless of whether ligature glyphs are used in either case.

If "monospace" is interpreted that rigidly, then it is much better *not* to
have any glyph at all for FB01 (and other characters like it) in a
"monospace" font.

    /Kent K