Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:37:30 +0200

2011/9/13 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>:
> 13/09/2011 07:18, Philippe Verdy wrote:
>
>> I clearly see ligatures when zooming in,
>
> That’s odd, because when looking at text in Arial, I find it very difficult
> to distinguish between the fi combination and the ligature U+FB01 (fi).
> There’s one pixel less space between the f and i in the ligature, for some
> large font sizes, but that’s it.

I absolutely don't see any difference in Chrome (not even one pixel or
a grayed quarter pixel when taking a bitmap snapshot and zooming it in
an external image editor), even at maximum zoom level, in your message
between the two letters and the 1-character ligature.
But I clearly see the difference in Notepad. Visibly, even if you can
place the input caret between the two letters, it is using exactly
same glyph as the ligature. (The difference only appears when
selecting with the mouse one of the characters, and only in that case,
1 joining pixel disappears, which gets immediately restored when
unselecting the text, or when selecting both letters
simultaneously...)

I should try with fonts where the differences are more evident anyway.