RE: continue: Glaring Mistake in nomenclature

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:59:50 +0000

From: unicode-bounce_at_unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce_at_unicode.org] On Behalf Of delex r

> I hope you understand my sense at that time and don’t go technically).
> I am not going into the technical matters of coding characters . My point ,
> I hope many of you understood, was regarding naming the script in
> Unicode ( well ISO also ) as “Bengali” instead of “ Assamese”.

You say you are not going into technical matters of character coding, but in fact you are. That's the whole point being made in responses to you. The block names you see in the standard have _technical_ purposes and are not intended to reflect the non-technical conventions of speakers of various languages that use those characters. The place in the standard that _does_ reflect those non-technical conventions in in the informative block description text in chapter 9 which, as I have already pointed out to you, does exactly what you are asking for.

Peter