Re: Need for Level Direction Mark

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:54:15 +0200

2011/9/21 Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>:
> LRE...PDF acts like a character with BiDi class L, and likewise for
> RLE...PDF.  I suppose the principle is that in a right-to-left context a
> word composed of letters of BiDi class L should be treated like an
> embedding.

That's where I think this behavior is wrong. this shoud just set the
direction to be used internally, hiding this detail to the outside.
Both sequences should behave like if this was a single character with
weak Bidi class. Otherwise they are not really "embedding". Even the
name "pop directional format" is misleading in this case because it
actually does not restore the state that was before the state pushed
by LRE/RLE.