Re: about P1 part of BIDI alogrithm

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 03:21:48 -0400

> From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 01:00:19 +0200
> Cc: li bo <libo.imc_at_gmail.com>, unicode_at_unicode.org
>
> 2011/10/10 Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>:
> >>  what's the meaning of 'appropriate Newline Functions' and 'higher-level
> >> protocol paragraph determination'?
> >
> > Newline Function (NLF) is described in Section 5.8 of Unicode.
> > Higher-level protocols are described in section 4.3 of UAX#9.  In a
> > nutshell, your application can have its own ideas of what begins and
> > what ends a paragraph, and you are allowed to use those rules instead
> > of what P3 says.
>
> For me I interpret the sentence as including all other non-plain text
> mechanisms available in various file formats or interchange protocols,
> such as HTML.

I agree, but UAX#9 doesn't really say where "appropriate Newline
Functions" end and "higher-level protocols" begin. In general, my
perception is that UBA deals with plain text, while higher-level
protocols deal with structured text such as HTML.

> My opinion is that the Unicode standard should avoid adding
> constraints on those rich-text formats. It should only focus on the
> content of plain-text elements

I think it already does, but perhaps UAX#9 should say that more
clearly.