Re: definition of plain text

From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:48:26 -0700

On 10/17/2011 1:23 AM, Peter Cyrus wrote:
> Perhaps the idea of something embedded in the text that then controls
> the display of the subsequent run of text is the very definition of
> "markup", whether or not that markup is a special character or an
> style="font:xxx;">.

Yep.

And FWIW, rather than invent a new conscript for what you are attempting to
do, my recommendation would be to simply use a strictly defined phonetic
subset of the already-encoded Unicode characters, and then use XML markup
to define gait. Your marked-up text would be more voluminous, but
the chances of it displaying decently and being processable with widely
available tools would be much better.

--Ken