Re: [indic] Malayalam 'repha'

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:52:21 +0530

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:29 AM, John Hudson <john_at_tiro.ca> wrote:
> However, other Malayalam fonts that I have looked at do not implement the
> repha in this way, but instead represent conjunct-initial Ra with a full
> form glyph. I would like to confirm whether this is the norm for the
> reformed orthography, and if I should refrain from implementing the repha
> shaping for this font (which does not seek to represent the traditional
> orthography)?

Any above base form of reph in Malayalam should be considered a
glyphic variant of the newly encoded DOT REPH. The RA-chillu is also
encoded as a separate character. Therefore in the end it boils down to
that RA + Virama (if not entering into any ligature or involving
C2-conjoining form) should only be represented as [ra candrakala].

--
Shriramana Sharma