Re: N4106

From: Szelp A. Szabolcs <a.sz.szelp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:18:57 +0100

I welcome that finally the combining parentheses are encoded as such,
and not by precomposed diacritics, especially, as I had evidence for
8-10 additional parenthesed diacritics (of course from linguistic
material, where else from!) to those presented in the earlier
Teuthonista proposals.

I was wondering whether COMBINING DOUBLE PARENTHESES *BELOW* wouldn't
be added for symmetry? (Being fully aware that "analogy" usually is
not taken into account, as e.g. combining small letters above are
still an open set), but I also seem to remember Teuthonista material
showing double parenthesis below in a chart. Is its missing an
editorial oversight, or does my memory trick me?

Concerning the explanatory paragraph dealing with the fused carons, I
have some reservations.
In fact, the current behaviour with carons changing to apostrophes
unconditionally, i.e. without the requirement of langauge codes not
unlike the case of Russian vs. Serbian Cyrillic italics poses some
problems already concerning the encodability of {d, t, l, L}+caron
whith an actual (detached) caron to display. Such representation is
not unheard of. While this can be solved on the font level in high
quality typography, the main question concerning the fused caron is
indeed, whether the fused carons are distinct from the detached carons
themselves.
In fact, most "attached" combining marks are considered as
_letter_modifications_ in Unicode, as far as I see, be it b with right
hook or the IPA symbols. This could warrant the encoding of what is
called d/k/t with attached caron as {D, K, T} WITH SPLIT TOP STEM or
something similar as singular codepoints. Of course, if the mentioned
additional "fused carons" in Landsmålsalfabetet give us letters more
by an order of magnitude, a combining mark solution would become more
desirable.

Szabolcs

--
Szelp, André Szabolcs