Re: Economic Self-Interest (was: Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum)

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:19:35 -0500

> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:31:37 -0800
> From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
> CC: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
>
> the fact that major information technology companies also see it in
> their economic interest to assist in the development of the
> standard, and even more importantly, to *implement* the standard, is
> a *good* thing, not a bad thing.

It is a Good Thing, but it does have its well-known limitations.
E.g., witness the unfortunate effects it had on the UBA, which makes
implementations behave awkwardly and at times downright wrong from the
user experience POV, just because some vendor was too eager to codify
their semi-broken implementation at some point.

Really, I don't understand why people keep arguing about this truism.
The OP's intent was quite clear, even if expressed in a somewhat
non-traditional form.