RE: tips on writing character proposal

From: Larson, Timothy E. <TELarson_at_west.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:22:24 -0600

Rick, Yucca, Van, Mark, Asmus, Christoph, and others,

Thank you for all your responses. They have really helped me to clarify the goal and direction I need to take.

I certainly can appreciate the argument for encoding only textual characters that already have demonstrated use cases. You can't include every imaginable thing, so you have to draw a line somewhere.

On the other hand, it appears to me that by accident of popularity, you may create the opportunity to get your favorite symbol encoded. It seems a bit backwards that a "random" character could get encoded by virtue of being in the right place at the right time (included in a popular pi font, or smartphone symbol set), but a recognized cultural symbol (which if it were included, would definitely see use, as font designers add it) does not.

Cheers,
Tim