RE: tips on writing character proposal

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:28:15 -0700

"Larson, Timothy E." <TELarson at west dot com> wrote:

> On the other hand, it appears to me that by accident of popularity, you may create the opportunity to get your favorite symbol encoded. It seems a bit backwards that a "random" character could get encoded by virtue of being in the right place at the right time (included in a popular pi font, or smartphone symbol set), but a recognized cultural symbol (which if it were included, would definitely see use, as font designers add it) does not.

In theory at least, it isn't at all accidental or random. Symbols that
are widely used as part of normal inline writing are more likely to be
encoded than those that are not.

The premise behind encoding the emoji was that people were using them as
part of inline text, specifically SMS and IM messages. Some members of
the set, including the pile of poo and the fish cake with swirl design,
almost certainly were not used enough to justify inclusion on their own,
but then the principle of "completing the set" went into effect.

As Asmus said, your mission, in proposing your eight "favorite symbols,"
will be to prove that they have seen sufficient usage in inline text.
Proving that they are used in pictorial or illustrative contexts is
probably not enough, because Unicode is a character encoding standard,
not a general catalog of symbols.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­