Re: Question on UCA collation parameters (strength = tertiary, alternate = shifted)

From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:52:37 -0800

On 11/29/2011 11:11 AM, Matt Ma wrote:
> Does Shifted implies strength being quaternary? If strength stays as
> tertiary (default or explicitly set), it seems the collation behavior
> is Blanked. Please clarify.

No. Shifted is a particular strategy for handling the "variable
collation elements" (starred in the data file)
for punctuation, symbols, and such when building keys. It is consistent with
a parametric setting for any strength when comparing keys. So you can build
collation keys with the Shifted option, and compare them with any of the
strength options.

If, for example, I was comparing "bàba" with "BabA", the choice of
Shifted or any of
the other options for variables wouldn't make any difference, because
there are
no variables to be weighted in those strings. The outcome of the
comparison -- whether
the accents or case made any difference, would depend on the settings
for strength.

--Ken