Re: Archaic Pashto letter

From: <linguist_at_artstein.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:24:23 -0600

I think I have an answer to a possible source of U+0682:

Grammar of the Pasto or Language of the Afghans, Compared with the
Iranian and North-Indian Idioms. By Dr. Ernest Trumpp. London and
Tuebingen, 1873. (Available from Google Books)

Page 1 (Page 24 of the PDF download from Google Books):

"Only one consonant has been left indistinct, the media [U+0685] d (=
dz), which is not distinguished from its tenuis [U+0685] t (= ts) by
separate diacritical marks. We have endeavoured to supply this want by
placing two dots above [U+062D], viz. [U+0682], as for a foreigner at
any rate the non-distinction of the two sounds must prove very
troublesome."

Indeed, some other 19th century grammars refer to Pashto [ts] and [dz]
as distinct letters but typeset them identically with three dots above
(that is, like U+0685). Here are two such examples:

A Grammar of the Pukkhto or Pukshto Language on a New and Improved
System, by Henry Walter Bellew, London 1867 (see alphabet table on
page 3, that is page 20 of the PDF download from Google Books).

A Grammar of the Pukhto, Pushto, or Language of the Afghans, by
Lieutenant H. G. Raverty, Calcutta 1855 (see alphabet table on pages
3-4, that is pages 77-78 of the PDF download from Google Books).

So it appears that the character "Hah with two dots vertical above"
was a 19th-century attempt to distinguish Pashto [ts] and [dz] for
didactic purposes. The convention of writing [dz] using Hah with hamza
above (U+0681) appears to have emerged later. There are still some
unanswered questions.

- Why did a character from a 19th-century book get coded in Unicode?
Did it ever receive wider use beyond Trumpp's book?

- Is the present hamza convention a development of the two vertical
dots proposal, or are they unrelated? About a year ago I worked with
several Afghan expatriates living in Southern California, and in
handwriting they would typically join two diacritical dots as a
squiggle rather than a line (which is more common in Arabic). One
could see how two vertical dots might develop into a vertical squiggle
and later into a hamza, especially given the note by Vladimir Ivanov
cited below. But this is only a conjecture at this point.

Anyway, I hope to have contributed a few pieces towards solving the puzzle :-)

-Ron.