Sorting and German (was: Sorting and VolapŘk)

From: Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz_at_uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:46:53 +0100

Happy New Year,

on Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM,
Michael Everson<everson_at_evertype.com> wrote: > VolapŘk sorts [...] ń a
separate letter after a, ÷ separate after o,

Am 2012-01-01 16:54, schrieb Peter Cyrus:
> German does both,

Not really.

According to DIN 5007,
German features two different sort orders:
Ľ In lists of personal names, ─, Í, ▄ may be sorted
   as AE, OE, and UE, respectively; this order is
   mainly used in telefone directories.
Ľ In dictionaries and encyclopedias, ─, Í, ▄ are sorted
   as A, O, and U, respectively.

As encyclopedias may well comprise personal names,
the scope of the former scheme is not well defined,
imho, and I stick to the latter one, whenever I have
to sort a list.

In both schemes, ▀ is sorted as SS.

In both schemes, true A (or AE, respectively) goes before ─,
iff two sort keys are otherwise identical; likewise for
Í, ▄, and ▀.

In Austria, a third scheme is used in telefone directories
(but not in the yellow pages): Here, ─, Í, and ▄, are
indeed treated as distinct letters, to go between A and B,
O and P, and U and V, respectively; and ▀ is treated as a
distinct pair of letters, ro go between SS and ST.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz