Re: Sorting and German (was: Sorting and Volapük)

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:48:38 GMT

On 2012-01-01, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
> So it is. Do you know how to compile system-level sorting algorithms for such a real operating system?

No, but if I wanted to I would find out.
If MacOS has left the standard-ish Unixy documentation around,
man 5 locale
should tell you the format of locale files (with reference to examples
that you may have to obtain separately if they're not included with
MacOS).
and
man localedef
should tell you how to compile a locale definition.

[Elsewhere:]
>More than anyone else, and we need a locale.

>How? I am not a programmer.

Become one!
But you don't need to be much of one - locale definition files don't
appear to be very complicated.

However, if you don't want to become a programmer, and you have a
niche need, pay somebody to do it for you. Any competent programmer
with a Mac and some I18N experience ought to be able to do it in an
hour or so.
(I would offer, but I know nothing about Mac system administration, or
the innards of the Mac variant of Unix.)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.