Re: Upside Down Fu character

From: Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin_at_acssoft.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 18:39:46 +0100

Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012 um 17:26 schrieb John H. Jenkins:

JHJ> There are really three choices:
JHJ> 1) Don't encode it at all and rely on higher-level protocols to
JHJ> display it. (After all, it's only used in specialized contexts
JHJ> and does not have a distinct meaning or pronunciation from the regular 福.)
JHJ> 2) Use a registered ideographic variation sequence to support
JHJ> it. (This is really a variation of #1.)
JHJ> 3) Add it to UTR #45 and submit it to the IRG for inclusion in Extension F.

There is also another choice as outlined in Andre Schappo's original mail:
       4) Add it as a symbol (the "Enclosed Ideographic Supplement" block
          U+1F200...U+1F2FF may be an appropriate place, as it already contains
          a symbol at U+1F200 which is not literally "enclosed").

-
Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012 um 17:44 schrieb Michael Everson:

ME> I'd've gone for #3. The UCS has lots of "specialized" characters.

While I sympathize with the idea to get this character encoded, I doubt
that an upside-down version of a CJK character can be a new CJK character
by default, as not all strokes and radicals in the "CJK Strokes" and
"CJK Radicals Supplement" blocks have their upside-down equivalents in
these blocks.

Based on this, in fact I would consider option #4
(but I am in no ways an expert on CJK characters).

- Karl