Fw: Upside Down Fu character

From: <vanisaac_at_boil.afraid.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 02:57:27 -0800

From: philip chastney <philip_chastney_at_yahoo.com>

> From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
> Rick McGowan wrote:
>> I would say to use higher level mark-up or images for this. I don't see any
>> reason to start down the road of encoding upside down Chinese characters, or
>> variation sequences, for such things. They are decorative anomalies, not plain
>> text. What's the inline markup for "display this glyph upside down"?
>>

> this will do the job, though whether it meets the requirements of a
> non-programmer, I don't know http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/166266/Making-
> Text-Upside-down-u it looks to the user like straightforward CSS, but needs
> maintaining as OSs and browsers shift and change /phil

I tried out this code, it's simple html/CSS, but it doesn't seem to do a good job of rendering in-line text. Specifically, the text "福&lt;div class="txtUpsideDown"&gt;福&lt;/div&gt;福" renders two right-side-up 福 characters on one line, with the upside-down 福 on the next line. OTOH, "&lt;div class="txtUpsideDown"&gt;福&lt;/div&gt;福" renders the right-side-up and upside-down 福 characters overlapping each other at the top left of the page, requiring several NBSP to separate the two characters. I don't know enough CSS to tweak the code (Ok, I don't really know any, but I can follow simple code in most any language), but with some work, this could probably be the basis of doing in-line upside down text.

Test of the above code code (ignore if this is gibberish):

.txtUpsideDown
{
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=2); /* IE6,IE7 */
ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=2)"; /* IE8 */
-moz-transform: rotate(-180deg); /* FF3.5+ */
-o-transform: rotate(-180deg); /* Opera 10.5 */
-webkit-transform: rotate(-180deg); /* Safari 3.1+, Chrome */
position: absolute;
size=24pt.;
font=SimHei;
}