RE: Upside Down Fu character

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:40:16 -0700

Asmus,

I think I see your point. Certainly I didn't intend to take the
experience of encoding the emoji characters and promote it as some sort
of preferred path for getting characters encoded in Unicode. Far from
it.

Rather, I was trying to describe the use case for the emoji symbols:
someone (the Japanese telcos) had made them available for use in the
context of plain-text, and a seemingly large population had actually
used them that way. Whether they were actually *implemented* as
plain-text characters (in the PUA of Shift-JIS), or as some sort of
inline images, is not the point.

I think the case would need to be made, as is usually necessary for
either formal or informal character proposals, that there is actually a
non-trivial population that wants or needs to use the proposed
"character" as plain text.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­