Re: Upside Down Fu character

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:12:29 -0500

Hi.
From: Peter Cyrus <pcyrus_at_alivox.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:56:25 +0100

> This discussion has veered close enough to my pet project (the Shwa
> script) to comment.

> I plan to implement it in the PUA, both to demonstrate its value and
> viability and to find the problems and correct them before they get
> frozen into Unicode (if ever). I accept that means an eventual
> recoding, which I hope can be applied without changing the last two
> hex digits of the encoding, e.g. changing just the pages. That seems
> to me a reasonable and viable route to inclusion.

> What worries me is the number of technical decisions that will have
> been made long before an application for inclusion into Unicode. It
> seems to me there is a risk that those decisions will then become
> written in stone for compatibility reasons, and will never have been
> exposed to the debate they would engender on this list, for instance.
 There seems to be a gap in the process.

> One solution would be to institute a sandbox in the PUA, inspired by
> the ConScript Unicode Registry except with non-permanent entries.
> There, new characters and scripts could enjoy widespread use and
> delayed stability until they were ready for inclusion, while at the
> same time profiting from the scrutiny of the Unicode community.
I think the PUA would be the place to try out this character.

However, would not a prep area/sandbox in the pua mean still more changes? (But see my response to your comments on this below.)
> If this "Unicode Prep" existed, you could assign Upside-Down Fu to it
> without much hesitation, and see who uses it in plaintext for a few
> years. If accepted, it would have to be recoded, but that might be
> the least of all evils.

O.k., I see. You say that the trouble changing codes is worth it. (I don't have the experience to decide on this.)

Thanks.

Sincerely,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar_at_hotmail.com