Re: Upside Down Fu character

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:01:01 -0800

John,

while I can imagine that I'll be perfectly able to live without these
particular characters encoded, I disagree with your take on these.

For one, it seems reasonably clear from evidence in the discussion that
these characters do not form part of the standard Han writing system,
just as © is not part of the Latin alphabet, even though it's clearly
derived from that alphabet. Therefore, I think that using UTR#45 to
track such characters is not appropriate (even less so, to give them a
"W" status from the start).

I believe, a good case can be made that the use of these upside down
characters is iconic, not as an element of their writing system. To me,
their use seems to have much in common with emoji.

Emoji, if understood not as "that set of phone company Shift-JIS
extensions" but more properly as "icons used in text like characters"
are a system of their own, and one that is best understood as being
equally open ended as any other subset of Unicode characters. All
writing systems are subject to growth and change.

If you use a definition of emoji that focuses on their use, rather than
on a particular collection of them then I don't think how you can
a-priori exclude the identification of these putative characters as
potential extensions of the set of emoji.

What I'd suggest is to back off for a moment.

Nobody has written a formal proposal yet.

When that is done, then one of the questions that needs to be decided in
initial triage is whether these are elements of the han script proper or
iconic symbols that happen to be derived from han characters. (The
proposal may suggest a particular resolution of this issue). If, with
all facts on the table, the consensus is that they are "regular" han
characters, then their further evaluation starts with tracking them
under TR#45 and potentially taking them to IRG for possible
consideration in extension F.

If not. then the process would be different.

A./