Re: [indic] Re: Tamil Anusvara (U+0B82) glyph shape [ Re: Dot position in Gurmukhi character U+0A33]

From: srivas sinnathurai <sisrivas_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 21:49:20 +0000

Dear Michael,

It is better if you do do some research before commenting.

you say Tamil has 10 vowels.
No Tamil has 5 basic PoA for generating vowels.

then it has 5 of double matrai (not matra) matrai is to do with
momental-timin!!!

then it has grammar rule to extend vowel timing further, which UC already
denied for Tamil

sample phonemes from the basic 5 starts with 2 major variants (there are
much more) .
ie 10 sounds, with your 10 sounds = 20 sounds. actually 10 major vowel
phonemes
if you can see the colours below. .

a as in undo ---------amma ----அம்மா
a as in apple ------- annai -----அன்னை

i as in ---????--------intru------இன்று
i as in India -----------India------இந்தியா

u as in book ---------udu--------உடு
u as in queen--------uyil--------உயில்

e as in ????--------eN--------எண்
e as in egg-----------en---------என்

The above are from 5 basics.

If you count your 10 basics it will double.

and there are many more variations and we need to agree on easily graspable
basics before going any further.

As for consonants, Tamil uses far more phonemes than any other language in
the world..
It is good to learn before nooping, please!!!

Regards
Sinnathurai