Re: Relationship among UCA Collation parameters

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:22:12 -0800

------------------------------
Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*
**

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:00, Matt Ma <matt.ma.umail_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions regarding relationship among strength,
> alternate and hiraganaQuaternary. Although it is specified in Table
> 14, UCA, that the default value for strength is tertiary, but I am not
> sure if it overrides the settingson other parameters (default or
> explicitly set).
>
> 1. If no collation parameters are set, what are the default settings
> for strength and alternate?

This actually depends on the locale in question, when dealing with other
than a pure DUCET collation.

> If to take the default value for strength
> and alternate, does it mean shifted will not take effect in this case?

I didn't quite understand this.

> 2. If only alternative is set to shifted, what is the setting on
> strength? Or does it require strength being set to quaternary for
> shifted to take effect?

If set to shifted, then it changes the primary weight, so there is an
effect even if the strength is just primary.

> 3. Similar to Question 2, if only hiraganaQuaternary is set to on,
> what is the setting on strength? Or does it it require strength being
> set to quaternary for hiraganaQuaternary to take affect?
>

> 4. In Japanese collation, standard, the collation parameters are set
> as <settings strength="tertiary" hiraganaQuaternary="on">. Does this
> mean hiraganaQuaternary does not take affect for Japanese standard
> collation if strength is not explicitly set to quaternary?

I think I misspoke earlier; I'll have to look this one up to be sure.

It may be useful to look at the implementation at
http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/locexp?_=root&x=col