Re: CYRILLIC SMALL/CAPITAL LETTER SELKUP OE (ISO 10756:1996)

From: Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:35:30 +0100

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I am looking for the codes or assignements status of the Cyrillic
> letter OE/oe (ligatured) as used in Selkup (exactly similar to the
> Latin pair).
>
> This character pair has been part of the registration nr. 223 (in
> 1998) by ISO of the (8-bit) "extended Cyrillic character set for
> non-Slavic languages for bibliographic information interchange" :
>
> http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc2/open/02n3136.pdf
>
> According to this document, this character set had also been
> standardized as ISO 10756:1996. Note that it contains many other
> characters for which it did not document any mapping to the UCS in the
> then emerging ISO 10646 standard.
>
> It has even been part of proposals at the UTC and ISO the same year
> for including in the UCS, along with other characters (at that time,
> Michael Everson wrote a proposal, placing them in U+04EC, U+04ED, but
> since the, the slots have been used for other characters (that block
> is now full).
>
> It is also referenced in the ISO 9 Cyrillic/Latin transliteration standard.
>
> Still, there's no Cyrillic character I can find in the encoded UCS in
> other Cyrillic extended blocks that are not full (for example,  the
> CYRILLIC SUPPLEMENT block at U+0500-052F).
>
> Where are those characters ? And what about the remaining characters
> found in the Registration nr. 223 and ISO 10756:1996 ? And their
> status in the ISO 9 standard itself ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Philippe.

According to ftp://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/WG2/docs/n2463.doc the
Cyrillic Selkup OE is mapped to Latin OE:
CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER SELKUP O E to U+0153 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE
CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER SELKUP O E to U+0152 LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE OE
Several other of those missing Cyrillic characters are simply mapped
to Latin ones or sort of decomposed.

-----
Denis Moyogo Jacquerye