Re: Combining latin small letters with diacritics

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 06:12:28 +0100

Le 6 mars 2012 23:59, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> a écrit :

> Now, I daresay that this effect could be reproduced with clever font
> tables, but it doesn't change the fact that visually what you see is
> indistinguishable

Note that given the date of the book, there was no consideration about
"font tables", as there was no computer to do that work. Only metal type
was used there. The visual differences are here just adaptation for the
layout of the text within stable and pleasing line heights, without too
much gaps almost everywhere (give nthe price of the type of paper used for
printing such book with good quality, a quality needed to see the many
small diactitics and avoid blurs of ink that would make the text
unreadable, saving paper surface was also considered, so clever
size-adaptative type styles had to be used there, otherwise even the
diacritic letters would have had the normal size, and other diacritics
would have retained their uniform size and form).