Re: Fallback Display for COENG

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 04:58:59 +0100

Le 7 mars 2012 17:58, Dominikus Dittes Scherkl <lyratelle_at_gmx.de> a écrit :
> Am 07.03.2012 01:52, schrieb Ken Whistler:
>> On 3/6/2012 4:25 PM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
>>> What about Grapheme_Extend class characters placed out of context? It
>>> would be nice to see a dotted box in cases like AׁB
>>> (U+0041 U+05C1 HEBREW POINT SHIN DOT U+0042)
> In fact, I do see a dottet circle between A and B with the point on it.

Me too. In fact this is a good fallback solution, which remains
perfect as long as noone really need to give some distinct meaning to
the cluster A+SHIN DOT, and render it without that circle with a
dedicated font. In my opinion it would be very confusive with <A,
COMBINING DOT ABOVE>, but this could be <A, COMBINING DOT INSIDE>. And
until now, we've not seen an actual use of the dotted circle with
diacritics to mean something else (with the litteral symbol dotted
circle by itself) than this fallback.

If this ever occurs, renderers could still use some other fallback
mechanism (including by changing the color(s) of the dotted circle
itself, or by making it visible only when it is hovered by a mouse
tool, on an interactive media and with a mechanism supported by the
renderer itself to control various rendering aspects or options). I
don't think that Unicode should standardize those fallback mechanisms,
and the dotted circles seen in charts or in the book or just a
local-only convention which is explained locally (in an informative
way, not a normative way), but that does not need to be enforced to
every other media or in every fonts and renderers.