Re: Support for non-BMP characters

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:04:00 +0300

2012-04-25 13:16, Szelp, A. Sz. wrote:

> I'm really not a technical expert, but what you write rather sounds to
> me as if Javascripts UCS-2 implementation were broken...

That’s a misunderstanding. UCS-2 implementation is not the problem.
UTF-16 is an issue, but not in modern browsers, as I wrote previously.

> Thanks for the linked document.
[…]
> http://dheeb.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/gbu.pdf “Unicode Support
> Shootout - The Good, the Bad & the (mostly) Ugly”

The document discusses many interesting questions, in a somewhat biased
manner. It’s not very clear in its description of Unicode in JavaScript,
but it makes the point that the tools for processing characters are
limited, mostly very limited. This can be really awkward when you would
need advanced tools like Unicode regular expressions (JavaScript has
just Ascii regexps) or access to character properties as defined in
Unicode. But these are at a different level than the question whether
non-BMP characters can be used.

Yucca