Re: Support for non-BMP characters

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:48:18 -0600

William_J_G Overington wrote:

> Is there a standardized way to encode a sequence of one or more
> characters, whether from the BMP or not from the BMP or mixed, in a QR
> code please?

According to the Wikipedia article on QR codes, "The information encoded
can be made up of four standardized kinds ("modes") of data (numeric,
alphanumeric, byte/binary, Kanji), or through supported extensions,
virtually any kind of data." The article explains the four modes as
follows:

• Numeric encoding (10 bits per 3 digits)
• Alphanumeric encoding (11 bits per 2 characters)
• Byte encoding (8 bits per character)
• Kanji encoding (13 bits per character)

The "byte" mode, together with a byte-based Unicode encoding scheme like
UTF-8 or even (shh!) SCSU, could theoretically encode a sequence of
arbitrary Unicode characters. The article doesn't say what a "supported"
extension is, but I'm sure more complete references are available.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­