Re: Unicode, SMS and year 2012

From: Cristian Secară <orice_at_secarica.ro>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:05:48 +0300

În data de Sat, 28 Apr 2012 12:41:51 -0600, Doug Ewell a scris:

> If I'm going to use a variable-length, non-byte-aligned encoding,
> where there is no chance of realigning in case of a flipped or
> dropped bit (which seems to be of great concern to many people), I
> might as well go ahead and use a Huffman or LZ type of encoding (or a
> combination, like DEFLATE).

The standard 3GPP TS 23.042 [1] provides a Huffman compression method
for SMS, yet it seems to me it needs the language to be known at the
time of writing (or at least at the time of effective sending). It also
provides per-language defined dictionaries using 850 or 437 codepage,
but I have not finished reading all the details, so my overview may be
distorted. While in theory this standard is promising (and was issued
long time ago, probably that's why the IBM-like encoding), in practice
I am not aware about its implementation (for sure in my device or the
provided PC application it is not).

Cristi

[1] http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/23042.htm

--