Re: [unicode] Re: vertical writing mode of modern Yi?

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 10:22:02 +0100

On 1 May 2012 03:48, suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki_at_hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

>> I wouldn't expect to see vertical modern standard Yi text in modern
>> publications, other than perhaps newspapers.
>
> I got a scanned image of Liangshan Ribao (涼山日報), dated 2002/Mar/9,
> the vertical text is laid out without glyph rotation.

Thanks! Those are very good examples, especially the whole paragraph
of vertically written text next to the photograph, and really should
settle the argument once and for all. Now all we have to do is
convince fantasai and the other folk working on UTR #50 that the
people typesetting the Liangshan Daily really do know how to typeset
Yi, and that they are not making a terrible faux pas because of
technical limitations or unfamiliarity with Yi typographic traditions
(of course, for the standardized Liangshan Yi syllabary encoded in
Unicode there is no typographic tradition prior to the standardization
of the script in 1980).

Andrew