Re: [unicode] Re: Canadian aboriginal syllabics in vertical writing mode

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 17:05:39 +0100

On 2012-05-01, Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:
> than it is in English, except in neon). The examples you showed were
> made by people who hadn't thought about what they were doing. Since

Don't you think the native speakers might know what they're doing?

> Canadian Syllabics characters change their meaning when seen
> sideways, setting text in the way those two documents did it simply
> causes immediate confusion as to the legibility of the text.

Not so. I've never looked at Canadian syllabics before, but it was
immediately obvious (thanks to the "superscript" characters) that it
was text rotated through 90 degrees, so if I wanted to read it (and knew
the script and the language), I would read it accordingly.
Whether there are character sequences that could be read meaningfully
both as vertical text and rotated text is an interesting question -
is your Inuktitut up to answering it?

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.