Re: U+2018 is not RIGHT HIGH 6

From: Michael Probst <michael.probst03_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 17:33:54 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 29.04.2012, 23:43 -0700 schrieb Asmus Freytag:
> Even if some minutiae of glyph selection are left to a font, the problem
> is often that there's no specification as to what certain languages
> need, so that fonts cannot be expected to provide the correct
> implementation.
>
> When Unicode was first created, the fact that one and the same quotation
> mark character could be both opening and closing was not widely realized
> in the character encoding community.

Did (does?) that matter? Some hour ago inserting a Hebrew Aleph turned a
closing (or right) round bracket ")" into "(".

> This was rectified over time, and
> now there is detailed information (even though it may not be exhaustive)
> on common practices in chapter 6 of the standard.

On my way to it.

> The document that was passed around here, is difficult to follow because
> it mixes issues of glyph design with character selection and font
> selection.

Sorry.

> The discussion would have to be recast in terms of what
> design features successful language-dependent glyphs would need to
> exhibit for a combination of existing characters with certain languages.

Something like this?

Used on the left U+2018 (LEFT SINGLE Q…) and U+201C (LEFT DOUBLE Q…)
should keep to the right and exhibit a visual character (appearance) of
"leading in to" the text to their right in: Albanian, Arabic, Chinese,
Danish, English, French (though NNBSP will follow on the right and
guillemets be used most of the time instead), Hebrew, Irish, Italian,
Catalonian, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai and
Turkish.

Though in Arabic, Hebrew and other occasions of RTL-use that should be
"lead out of", though I do not know whether such a difference could
designed into them.

Used on the right they should keep to the left and exhibit a visual
character of "leading out of" the text to their left in: Bulgarian,
German, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Serbian, Slovakian, Slovenian,
Sorbian, Czech, Ukrainian and Belarusian.

(No claim to correctness or completeness.)

Michael