Re: Mark-Driven Script Categorisation

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 23:43:56 +0100

On Thu, 17 May 2012 23:16:10 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > OK, OK.... So this looks like there's an 'x'-like letter in the Lao
> > script. But why should it be the Latin letter with all its allowed
> > variations, its dual case, its cursive joining, its serifs ? May be
> > the letter x was chosen because it has the property of a letter and
> > not a mere symbol. But then this means that the Lao script needs a
> > new letter of its own.
>
> Correction: the Shift state of this keyboard is used only for some
> rare Lao letters, but the rest is filled by punctuation and other math
> symbols. When looking at the keyboard map, I actually don't see an x
> letter but effectively a multiplication sign (just like there's a plus
> sign two rows above).

That's what I originally thought - but every implementation I've
investigated comes up with the letter 'x'. I have seen 'x' with serifs
in lists of Lao vowels, but I'm not sure that the Lao vowels were
actually typed. I must say 'x' works very well as a bearer for SE
Asian combining marks.

I originally raised the issue because I am not sure what having a
letter reclassified as common would do to the definition of CLDR
tailorings. The Garshuni writing system could have an interesting one
- Syriac consonants with Arabic marks - but I suspect Arabic vowels
being primary ignorables prevents any ridiculous results.

Richard.