Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 20:53:25 +0300

2012-05-21 20:26, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Andreas Prilop
> <prilop4321_at_trashmail.net> wrote:
>> Will it also include U+20BB NEW DRACHMA SIGN ?
>
> I'm sorry but I don't see a proposal for U+20BB NEW DRACHMA SIGN in
> the register. Did I miss anything?

I think you (and Peter) missed a joke (which has a serious overtone).
The point is that if Greece leaves the euro area, they will hardly want
to use the old drachma sign (₯, U+20AF)—it’s very old-fashioned and not
in line with currency symbols in general.

Of course, there is no need for any action by the Unicode Consortium or
by font manufacturers on a new drachma sign before an authoritative (or
any real) initiative on it from the Greek side. But in addition to being
rather hilarious IMHO, in this context, the question can be taken as a
useful heads-up

Yucca