Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 17:38:40 -0700

On 5/22/2012 4:10 PM, Benjamin M Scarborough wrote:
> (Personally, I don't understand the current hubbub about inventing new
> currency signs, but whatever.) —Ben Scarborough

Currency symbol envy, pure and simple.

The Euro started it - it was intended to challenge pound and dollar,
that was probably one reason behind the symbol, the other one was the
need to differentiate itself from ALL the national currencies that went
before, most, if not all, had no dedicated symbol at the time (only
strings of letters).

And Unicode no longer penalizes users of special symbols, the way ASCII
and Latin-1 did. So now, having a fancy "brand" for your currency has
become de rigeur...

A./