Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:26:37 +0100

On 23 May 2012, at 07:16, Szelp, A. Sz. wrote:

> If you will have a U+20A4 LIRA SIGN _and_ a U+20BA TURKISH LIRA SIGN,

We have a RUPEE SIGN and an INDIAN RUPEE SIGN.

> designers _will_have_to_ make a visual distinction between them,

Yes, that's the intention.

> forcing them to take on the poor design "official" design, not allowing them to interpret creatively the sign like they did with the Euro to make it more visually pleasing.

Not true. A community of typographers is already discussing how to harmonize the new sign with fonts in the normal way.

> Of course, if you buy "too quickly and too cheap", as Andreas put it, and encode the new glyph variant of the Lira sign

It's not. It's another glyph variant of the letter L.

> which happens to be the one preferred for future Turkish banknotes and coins, you open up Pandora's box by forcing a need for distinction, where there is — as per status-quo — none. You have been warned :-)

There is nothing new here.

2003-02-24 ₲ ₳ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2579.pdf
2003-10-01 ؋ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2640.pdf
2004-04-23 ₴ ₵ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2743.pdf
2008-03-06 ₷ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3390.pdf
2008-03-06 ₸ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3392.pdf
2010-02-10 ֏ ftp://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3771.pdf (KP)
2010-07-19 ₹ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3862.pdf
2012-04-17 ₺ http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n4258.pdf