Re: German Mark symbol (was: Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:09:56 +0200

2012/5/23 Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin_at_acssoft.de>:
> Am Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2012 um 20:01 schrieb Jukka K. Korpela:
>
> JKK> 2012-05-23 20:40, Doug Ewell wrote:
>>> Note also that the German mark was pretty much always just "DM"
>
> JKK> Well, looking at my stamp collection, I can see old German stamps with
> JKK> symbols that look like script-style “m” (with the height of digits) and
> JKK> script-style “M”.
>
> The Deutsche Mark (DM, ISO 4217: DEM) was introduced 1948.
> The Mark sign you noted was used before for the German currencies
> called "Mark" from 1871 on. It was present on German typewriters in that
> era.
> Fortunately, this sign is already encoded (U+2133 SCRIPT CAPITAL M).

You forget the case of the script "lowercase" m. In fact what I've
seen is not really lowercase, it's using the same height as the
digits, and the lowercase letter is curled on the right side, and
slightly italicized, sometimes with the last leg going a bit below the
base line before returning to it in a curve

This glyph style is one accepted alternate form for the cursive
capital M, and may be it could be encoded as a variant of the existing
SCRIPT CAPITAL M which, in that case, would still be associable to the
old Mark (before 1948).

This glyph has other uses as well in normal texts, even outside of
Germany, but for this case, an alternate cursive font with an italic
style would preferably be used, for rendering texts encoded with the
standard Latin letters, where it would be then encoded as LATIN
CAPITAL M.

[side note]
  For example I've seen this glyph used in French schools, years ago!,
as it is simpler to draw correctly by early learners of the script.
  This may no longer be the case now in many schools, because the
cursive style is no longer the primary form of the Latin script that
is being taught :
  Children are more used to a non linear form with simplified
sans-serif Swiss designs (like Arial/Helvetica, but wider, more like
Verdana) and more straight strokes, and regular weights, those you see
for example in toys sold for children.
  Many children now leave the school without ever having been taught
the cursive style and have difficulties now to read texts in books and
papers printed using fonts with serifs and variable stroke weights
because they pass directly to the simplified sans-serif letter forms
seen in web browsers and on smartphones...
  And even the italic style of the same same-serif font family is
difficult for them to decipher, only the bold style variant is really
accessible for them because they'e seen it since the early infancy !
[/side note]