Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 22:42:17 +0100

On Wed, 23 May 2012 11:07:32 +0100
Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2012, at 09:41, Szelp, A. Sz. wrote:
>
> > We can wait and see wether there's need or real basis for
> > disunification.
>
> The basis for disunification is that it is a major glyph change,
> making it quite different from a character which is already
> ridiculously confusable with the pound sign. Moreover, like the RUPEE
> SIGN and the INDIAN RUPEE SIGN, the existing LIRA SIGN could be used
> for other (formerly used) lire (Italy, Malta, San Marino, Syria,
> Lebanon, the Vatican City, Israel) and the new glyph would be
> inappropriate for all of those.

The handwritten English pound sign usually has two
cross-bars, as can be seen on some early English banknotes at
http://www.britishnotes.co.uk/news_and_info/picture_library/englishpictures/whitenotes/early.php .
The symbol on current Bank of England notes look odd, but then in
comparison they're funny money anyway.

Richard.