Re: [OT] Re: Exact positioning of Indian Rupee symbol according to Unicode Technical Committee

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 20:41:38 +0100

On 2012-05-28, Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:
> Karl Pentzlin replied to Jukka K. Korpela:
>> JKK> I don’t think there will be any standard on [how to type INDIAN
>> RUPEE SIGN on a U.S. English keyboard].

>> It is contained in the draft of ISO/IEC 9995-9 "Multilingual,
>> Multiscript Keyboard Group Layouts" which is currently being submitted
>> to DIS voting.

> ISO/IEC 9995-9 cannot be implemented natively on Microsoft Windows; it
> requires a third-party add-on package such as Keyman, which is not
> free.

I don't understand this remark. Microsoft Windows is not free, so what
does it matter whether there's a free addon or not?
If ISO/IEC 9995-9 becomes a standard, then Microsoft will presumably
support it, either themselves or by buying Keyman.
If they don't, then there are other operating systems.
Defects in one OS have no relevance for standards - although they may
be a pain for a little while (e.g. Linux' rather slow support for
Unicode).

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.