Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:07:31 -0700

On 5/29/2012 12:42 PM, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> 2012/5/29 Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org <mailto:doug_at_ewellic.org>>
>
> I was specifically, and only, referring to a character proposal—any
> proposal—being dubbed "urgent" on the basis that a font hack has been
> identified.
>

> Just look what happened when the Japanese did their own font/character
> set hack. The backslash/yen problem is still with us, to this day...

The reason it is, is because currency symbols are so widely used that
there's no way to "fix" them once something like that takes hold.

Font hacks are always an issue, but the urgency comes from the potential
for data corruption.

Extremely high use symbols will attract font hacks, and at the same
time, create a case where font hacks are the most damaging.

A./