Re: [OT] Re: Exact positioning of Indian Rupee symbol according to Unicode Technical Committee

From: Jean-François Colson <jf_at_colson.eu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 06:31:03 +0200

Le 28/05/12 22:53, Doug Ewell a écrit :
> Karl Pentzlin wrote:
>
>> As said in an earlier posting, the part 9995-9 is now in DIS, which
>> means that its final version will be published 2013 or 2014. Thus,
>> national standards referring to this part will hardly be published
>> before 2015.
>>
>> Thus, there is enough time for any manufacturer of operating systems
>> or third-party software suppliers to announce their support of any
>> keyboard layout compliant with a standard referring to ISO/IEC 9995-9.
>
> Again, just speaking about one platform (Windows) that seems to be in
> somewhat common use, the problem is that the underlying architecture
> doesn't support multiple dead keys on a single base character, nor
> does it support a fifth, sixth, etc. shift state (unless one chooses
> to be reckless and use Ctrl). This is unlikely to change in the next
> two to three years. It isn't a matter of providing a layout—otherwise,
> anyone with MSKLC and a supported Windows version could create one.

The only limit I know for Windows’ dead keys is that they can’t handle
characters outside from the BMP.

With MSKLC, it is possible to support multiple dead keys on a single
base character:
http://msdnrss.thecoderblogs.com/2011/04/chain-chain-chain-chain-of-dead-keys/

(I didn’t say it’s easy: you need to edit the klc file with a text
editor and to compile it manually.)

Using the same technique, you can even make a compose key.

And for the 5th and 6th layers, perhaps you could look at the Neo layout
(a Dvorak-like keyboard layout for German, http://neo-layout.org). They
made Windows drivers for their very special layout which uses three
pairs of modifiers: Shift, Mod3 and Mod4. You could certainly find ideas
there.

JF