Re: Flag tags (was: Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign)

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:24:33 -0700

There is definitely a problem.

The origin is complicated. All that anyone really needed were 10 characters
for emoji flags, encoded as compatibility characters. However, certain
people (I'll call Completionists) who think that if you encode one member
of a set (even for compatibility characters!), you need to encode all of
them. So the request expanded from 10 to all countries, then to all
possible countries. And I wouldn't be surprised to have them then push for
state/provincial flags for completeness, and who knows, maybe someday
municipal flags (my old town
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sargans-coat_of_arms.svg).

So, some people came up with a way to handle this, using combinations of
special characters. The only problem is that we didn't have lead and trail
characters separately defined, to allow for an unambiguous mapping.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*